Saturday, November 26, 2011

Where did Kym go?

It's Saturday afternoon here in Lennox.  Weather is so so but hey, where isn't it up and down this state?  Seems like someone turned a tap on in the sky and walked away.  Murphy and I aren't big fans of the rain although it gives her the extra excuse NOT to go for a walk or drop the walk time down from 5 minutes to 3.  Her exercise regime really is quite embarrassing.  I think John has cultivated it over many many years.  She is his masterpiece of sluggery. 

My last few days have been filled with many highs and the occasional low.  I am really feeling pretty good in terms of my scars.  The armpit hurts more than the breast but the experts told me that would be the case. The bandaging is still on and so the final unveiling is yet to occur.  I expect this coming week will see the end of steri strips and what not.  And I have refused to take pain killers since about Tuesday so I am generally happy with where all of that is sitting.  My armpit is kind of red and a bit golf ball like but I was reminded that even spin classes cause rubbing and lets not even go there about doing arm tracks in pump. Doh!  No pain no gain they say.

Without question the biggest struggle for me really has been attempting to return to what semblance of my normal life I can possibly muster.  It hasn't been through lack of will and effort.  I want nothing more to be back into full time work - being busy and challenged in a work context is all fine with me.  It feels like home.  And the gym work has always been a gift in terms of employment as its really about the only job I have ever had that (unless you completely stuff it up) makes you feel better at the end of the day and really glad you were there.  It is an environment that is filled with positive affirmation and I love it love it love it.

So why has this been so hard to do?  Well, I came to a realisation probably yesterday that I have had my identity changed without my permission.  Unlike Madonna or Kylie who's PR people no doubt cultivate their new identity and launch it in a carefully planned way, cancer snuck up on me and did it without any agreement or discussion.  You see, I used to be Gym Kym or  Regional Manager Kym or in the right circles I used to be Lyn/Kym or just plain old Kym, Kymmy, Kymbo, Kymbalina (you get the picture!).

But right at this very moment, I am Kym that's got cancer.  Poor Kym.  It's unbelievable it could happen to you Kym. That's so unfair Kym.  Sick Kym.  And it's not reserved for the views of those around me either because if I was to be perfectly honest there are fleeting moments where I almost dont recognise myself because I become scared Kym.

It has never ever in my life occurred to me that I might die young.  Yeah yeah we all have those conversations, you know the ones where we agree we should live each day like it's your last and use the good china and buy that special whatever it should be rather than put it off.  Because you just never know when you might get hit by a bus.  And all of that is true.  We don't know. 

But let me tell you, for me, these last few weeks have truly been the first time EVER in my life where I have actually contemplated the possibility that this thing has the potential to end my life prematurely.  Now please don't misinterpret this statement and think Oh no, Kym's just become Morbid Death Kym.  I'm not and in fact I feel an internal strength in me that with every day I grow increasingly resolute I will kick this thing and kick it good and hard.  In fact it will be such a distant memory that when I am Kym (Eve Gimbert) Langill in my nursing home (lovingly referred to as 'the pod') turning 101 and someone says how remarkable it is that I had cancer in my 40's I will argue with them, tell them they are mad and that unless they are prepared to perform circus tricks for my birthday, or that they have arrived with a puppy as a gift, that they should leave because they are making up fibs about me.  I feel strong and positive and as I have said to many this week, I feel physically better than I have in many months.  But I guess it wouldn't be an honest journal if I didn't admit the smallest sliver of vulnerability, every now and again.  And then it's gone.       

Being home has so many fantastic benefits in the fact that I am surrounded by an enormous support network of amazing people. I live in a comfortable house with lots of space and all my own stuff.  I live in paradise with easy access to gorgeous beaches and lush rainforest. John is simply awesome and Murphy makes me feel better just by watching her sleep. It is without question very much a healing environment. And I hope that over time the cancer identity fades and people will just go back to referring to me as Kym.  I know that treatment is likely to ensure that I can't hide the fact I've had cancer so in this respect it's likely to get worse before it gets better.  At least for the next little while.  But eventually I will emerge from this current state with a renewed sense of energy and a zest for life that will shine from the inside out. 

And I will be proud and happy to know that I have taken control back and that I am the determiner of my own destiny and that I am able to create my new identity, which will be something like.......SPARKLY KYM    :-)   Ta daaaaaa!

Happy Saturday night people. Much love and hugs xxx

14 comments:

  1. Kym, you talk about the things people often cringe from, death and emotion and fear...through your experience. That takes courage and introspection and while it was not your choice, you will learn so much and teach us all a thing or two. You always loved a challenge...hmmmm!!! So much love to you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. Eleanor Roosevelt. Giant hugs, Carol x
    PS. Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will be in the pod - of that I am sure - infact you're rostered on zimmer aerobics - Monday, Wednesday and Fridays, you're calling Bingo on Tuesday nights and you're on kitchen duty on Thursdays (salsa and cornchips will do!!) There is no rhyme nor reason to this - cancer does not discriminate - but it can be cured, boxed up and shelved! Til then I know that you will do it in your style and we will all just look on in admiration xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. There has not been one blog post from you that hasn't moved me in one way or another. I know you inspire people through the every day things you do, work, gym, friendships...but you need to know your writing for me, the insight and honesty, humour and energy has had enormous impact on me Kym and on the people I have shared this with that don't even know you personally. Thank you. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julia's right Kym, remember we talked about fitting an RPM dial to your zimmer frame, and wiring in a super loud sound system so you can teach BodyShuffle to the geriatrics, like me. You'll get noise complaints, even when half the residents are deaf lol This is like track 7, the mountain climb...eventually, you get to the top for the cruisy recovery. Kisses and love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi my friend, I'm sitting here, thinking, wishing I had something lyrical or poetic to add to this beautiful post and the lovely comments.

    I've been thinking a lot lately about being thankful - instead of all those other things I could invest my energy into. And I am so thankful for my friendship with you. You are a stunner. And gorgeous friend, you shine all the time. There's absolutely no doubt. About that.

    There's nothing cool about having something out of your control and Julia's comments, I think, are spot on.

    Talk soon, lots of love

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a journey it has been for all of us with you leading the charge... dont know about the others as i have not followed their careers or their ordeals but i have been following yours and it sure is amazing... the journey as well as destination recovery. Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's not easy being the main character in a story that someone else has decided should be penned about you Kym. A story that no one should have to read or be subjected to, but in saying that you as the heroine of this story may not be able to control the plot but you sure as hell can define your character. You have all the qualities that make me want to turn each page in awe of how you fight each evil demon and still stand poised and ready for the next one to fend off! This is your story Kym no one else's, you have the right to choose what characters join you in this crusade and what ones get in your way and must be warded off. Your story is a love story, not a romance but a story about finding love within yourself. This is one book that I for one can't put down and one I can't wait to finish at the same time, because like any good love story the heroine always comes out on top, holding her head up high, looking back knowing that through her tumultuous journey she to where she needs to be, stronger and more courageous than she could have ever thought possible!! You are my favourite character in any book I have ever read Kym, I love the raw emotion because it makes you real, keep writing exactly as you have been and soon you can close this book and put it on the shelf never to be read again! Always here for you....love Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kym, I m feeling really privelaged reading your blog. Both laughing and crying. Is amazing and I only ever think of you as can and will Kym. Love muchly x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blog is a source of energy for my body and food for the soul. Not kidding when I say you are an inspiration. You have me running again. No small feat. Hate that its cancer - but its also your amazing story of determination x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just wanted you to know how much I value our friendship. Catching up on your blog and I can hear the pain in your voice. I know its not about me but at the same time I hope that I am giving you the positive things you need from a friend and nothing that causes your heart to hurt. You have inspired me since the day I met you and the support and love you've shown me in every aspect of my life is overwhelming. As far as I'm concerned you are the same beautiful Kym I have always known and that's how I will continue to see you. You've always been sparkly Kym! With all my love, your Dave xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Kym, Throughout life we wear many labels – some designer, some trashy, some of our choosing, some draped upon us without us asking to try them on. I love that you are letting yourself feel the full spectrum of reactions and feelings to this and I feel so privileged and humbled that you are sharing it with us. Remember, though, that your emotions are not you. Let them come as they will, acknowledge them, name them, observe them, and know they will pass. Don’t be hard on yourself (bit like saying don’t have an easy day, Murph!), be gentle and loving towards yourself.
    I will get back to you about Saturday but can’t really wait any longer to compare scars (mine’s bigger than yours ;)! Love you long time. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  13. We love you Sparkely Kym!!!!!
    From,
    Hayley Jensen:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey how about just k.
    I still think of you as that.

    love J xxx

    ReplyDelete