Thursday, November 10, 2011

Waiting on the Umpires decision....

Am sending this blog from Julia's house - the hospital arm band has been removed and I am out of PJ's and into Lorna Jane shorts and a T shirt!  Feeling more and more like me :)

Basically it's a waiting game.  But the wait wont be long and that will at least mean I have a game plan and can start to focus on treatment and healing.  I must admit I am tired of thinking about cancer.  I want to return to having a focus on work, or the gym or whether Murphy has been fed or what's on next weekend.  It's really been such a short time  in the grand scheme of life but boy it's been forever too.  Tomorrow.  I am shooting for news that tells me the cancer is gone and that the pathology says they got it all.  No more surgery.  Just a treatment plan that means this can be boxed up and shelved.  For good.

I wanted to use this blog to pay tribute to two teams I haven't thanked so far in this blog.  Firstly I want to thank the amazing staff at St George Cancer Care Centre (Alison in particular), to the Oncologists at the St George Public Hospital (Jodi and Peter) and to my amazing surgeon and the staff at St George Private Hospital (Stephanie).  What they do evey day as part of their regular work day is nothing short of a miracle.  Stephanie the surgeon performed at least half a dozen operations on the day of mine which I know took her from lunch until evening.  She came to see me THAT night to tell me about the operation (for some reason I couldn't remember a thing??!!!) and it was at least 9pm before she left.  I happen to know she went home to a 6 month old baby.  And that she had surgery at 7:30 the next morning.  She is quite simply one amazing woman.  Jodi (my Medical Oncologist) I can tell already is a dynamo.  Jodi see's 25 to 30 people like me every day yet every appointment I have had with her so far, she somehow makes me feel like there is no time limit and I am her only focus.  I dont know how she does it.  And then there is Peter the Radiation Oncologist, the only boy on the team who's my numbers man and fills me with so much confidence about the final treatment process on this marathon.  The beautiful Alison my breast care nurse also must be acknowledged for her smiley disposition, her endless knowledge of all things cancer and for sharing with me the fact that she is about to become mum to a rescue dog most likely with no teeth.  I loved that we could exchange pics and talk puppies and that she hugged me.

And the second team worthy of acknowledgement is the canine team of Barney and Murphy.  Murph just because she is my geriatric baby and no matter what is happening, can always make me feel better.  And Barney for being the most generous host, allowing his schedule to be turned upside down, sharing his mum's attention with his Aunty Kym and for giving me loads and loads of blonde cuddles.  I will be picking Barney hair off my clothes for some time - gladly.  They are supported by a number of cousins out there...Teddy, chica, Shep, Charlie...too many to name.

About half a week ago John and I went to lunch in Lennox and I wrote on the back of a paper napkin ten reasons I am grateful for what is happening to me.  I dont think they have changed at this point in time although I do reserve the right to adjust as time goes by...
1.  The cancer is in my left breast and I am right handed so I can still swing a bat :-)
2.  There is no cancer on the right side. Yay!
3.  That it is breast cancer and not another kind of cancer which could be much worse
4.  That I found it early and action was swift
5.  That the cancer was under my nipple and not on top which means I can still have a cleavage :-) (that ones a personal favourite)
6.  That I apparently have good teeth which means risk of infection minimised during treatment
7.  That this has happened now and not 4 months ago when I was suffering from Dengue Fever
8.  That I have the Dream Team taking care of me
9.  That we are heading into summer so who needs hair anyway?
10.  That I am so well supported by everyone in my life.

Roll on tomorrow.  Let the Umpire announce me safe on the base so I can prepare for the dash to second.  There will be no stopping me then.  K xxx

6 comments:

  1. have had everything crossed for you from the beginning but even more so now. my thoughts and love are with you my favourite aunty!!! love you so incredibly much xoxo love always Carli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sammy, Jet & Emma send big happy waggy tails and want to donate their bone collection to Aunty Kym. They are happy to shed their fur (they are with you on point number 9) and Sammy (a cancer tumour survivor) suggests introducing tumeric into your diet. Love & hugs from their mum xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I particularly like point 5 as well Kym, it made me laugh out loud. You know what I mean by that! Love, courage and glass half full xxx I love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kym - you have a wonderful way of looking at things and expressing yourself. What an incredibly positive outlook - you can teach many of us a thing or two! You are a fighter and the Big C, picked the wrong person when it chose to pick on you! You will lick this thing.

    Please know that your Jensen and Fox relations are sending lots of love, hugs, kisses, prayers, good vibes, and whatever else it takes from our side of the world to yours.

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts in a blog with us, so we don't feel quite so far away and out of touch as you go through this.

    Love to you and to John. Give him a hug from us!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goddess...the night is calm & peaceful before your 'D Day' tomorrow! Positive thoughts & wishes for you tomorrow! At least you'll have bright, pretty pink toes... Much love... Gentle hugs & kisses. Thank you to John for keeping me in the loop the other day! You are really & truly the great man I've heard Kym talk about.

    Love to you both
    Txoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're all still around you Kymmy. Grandslam coming up girlfriend.

    Wendy xoxo

    ReplyDelete