Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Sliding into first base...

Wow what an amazing day -an insight into the medical world and a mix of lows and highs. I am typing this in my lonely private room (not complaining!) with just the occasional noise of a passing trolley or nurse. Been a long day but a good day.

A little while ago I was allowed to get out of the delightful 'show your bottom when you walk' gown and the most unattractive underpants I have ever worn and get into my bright and cheery Elmo pj's (thank you Bert and Mattaya).!!!

It started with an anxious but highly supportive breakfast meeting with my A team. Then whisked over bridge and into Nuclear Medicine(that's an entrance that makes your stomach flip) and a series of injections of dye (read 4) into the cancer area to try and find my sentinel node. Ouch. I found myself hugging a cold piece of impressive machinery for what felt like an eternity as they marked the spot for the surgeon to cut. In true form I discovered I have 3 main ones that couldn't be distinguished so all three were going. Don't like to do things in half measures! Go me!

From there I was sent to the holding area for surgery prep and the interminable wait for op. I was wheeled in around 3pm to a bright white room filled with what seemed like a lot of blue gowned busy women in funny hats. I told the surgeon I felt more confident the room was filled with smart chicks! As I lay in the operating room waiting to be knocked out it occurred to me that none of these women have to worry about bad hair days as they drive to work. However it must suck if they have to go somewhere fancy for an afternoon glass of wine :)

The surgery went well and I am incredibly pleased to report my lymph nodes removed were clear of cancer and so their brothers and sisters remain right where they should be which is under my arm pit. Big big big smile.

The umpire hasn't declared me safe on first yet however and I will have yet another wait until both the clean margin around the lump and the 3 lymph nodes are chopped up and thoroughly examined for no further trace of cancer. If they do find even the smallest trace, I will be back here probably this time next week doing it all again but I am very hopeful this will not be the case. And I have a number of good reasons to feel this way.

Once again, like every day over the past week I have received countless texts, emails, messages, cards and flowers. I'm sorry if I haven't managed to express my thanks to you but I will I promise over the next little time.

However there are a few key people specifically from today I want to thank. I want to thank my gorgeous niece Carli who was standing at the front of the hospital and almost squished the cancer out of me with her hug when I arrived. I know she was representing a larger family team and although was not allowed to stay, sat with me for as long as she could. I also want to thank Lyn and Ash who played the waiting game at home with Murphy today and yes there was a thunderstorm! If you know Murf, you'll know surgery was the easier option :) You guys are awesome and I'm so grateful you are here. To Wendy and Zom for being my fairy godparents and deciding Hong Kong needed a St George detour even if it's only for 5 fast minutes. Thank you Julia for being my medical coordinator, interpreting every piece of info, answering my endless questions ( even if you do make some of it up ;) and yes I know, if you say it with enough authority people will believe anything) and for ensuring I get the best. And of course thank you to John, just for being you - the you that you always have been for me through all of the sunny times and through the occasional downpour. Words can never express.

I also want to thank my full compliment A team which consist of many people far and wide and from a number of continents. I felt the love and support. I also know thre were a number of beautiful gals waiting in the wings should I be able to get the green light for visitation. I hope that is sooner than later. A wise woman reminded me this week that this is the beginning of a marathon, not a sprint and I am counting on many opportunities for sharing / leaning on those supports.

I understand that this afternoon a bunch of black and white women from home gathered in my back yard and took part in a smoking ceremony in order to send healing spirits to me. I truly believe that this act in part is why I am now quietly celebrating the excellent outcome of today. I want to acknowledge Aunty Nancy and Wendy in particular - I am honoured and so grateful I have you in my life. I felt the hands of many people sending me strength and power today. I know I'm not quite at the sprint to second base just yet but I have home crowd advantage and if I was a betting woman, I'd back me.

From diagnosis to surgery only 1 week of the most hideous awareness of what was growing inside me. I am so lucky to be able to fall asleep tonight knowing the cancer is gone. I feel I have been given a very precious gift. Kym xxx

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful Kym...what a happy happy day! Love and tenderness xxx Cate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent news! Hope they spring you soon.
    Paul and Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Lady,
    Definition of 'Goddess'...'any supernatural being worshipped as controlling some part of the world or some aspect of life or who is the personification of a force'...! Not supernatural, but definitely a force to be reckoned with! Home runs coming up babe!
    T xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy Kym. The world would be a much better place if we all had just a drop of your spirit. You continue to teach and inspire me. Love love love Alex xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy that latte and all the spoiling you deserve Kym! We could not be happier for you!! Lots of relief and smiles at the gym last night :) love Jo and Kookie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. My thoughts have been with you, tried to send a post yesterday but not sure it worked. If your reading this than yah i had more luck today.i was so pleased to read your post today, wonderful news.lots of love Julie O'Connor xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh k, I am so happy that is so beautiful. I am sitting here with tears in my eyes. I have been thinking of you every minute. of cause lovely bertie has keep me posted.
    Chris and i send our love.
    Yea hoooooo i knew you would bet it.
    love you j.xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goddess,
    The moon is shining for you...& the sky is lighting up, putting on an extraordinarily beautiful show, throwing streaks of light through the clouds! Celebrating YOU!
    Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh you copy cat you! you couldn't try just being a ranga could you?! remember the words you sent me when I was diagnosed "you can't change the direction of the wind but you can set your sails" I found those words empowering during my treatment and now I send them to you. The news so far sounds good so fingers crossed for pathology results. we're sending you lots of love and healing blue knob vibes baby xxoo
    PS I wrote a long winde but brilliant post earlier but having never used a blog it didn't seem to send....Love Jen Parke

    ReplyDelete