Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Me and Boycey got the next two bases sussed.....

I already know that I love my base coach (Oncologist) Adam.  For a start he is my age so if geography had collided for us, we potentially would have gone to school together. There is absolutely no way we would have gotten similar grades however I would have loved him at school because he strikes me as one of those sweet guys that was there to hug you and buy you a sausage roll after you'd had your heart broken by some ego driven jerk.   I can tell already that he has a very big brain and an unbelievably impressive knowledge of all things cancer. Most importantly, I can tell he is kind.

He is softly spoken and very calm in his approach and if my Aunty Lyn were in the room she'd say 'he has a lovely manner about him'.  And he does.  He put me at ease immediately and the women running the office were also cheerful and friendly.  They are the satelite A team from my Sydney team and I feel completely confident being in their care - the baton has been passed with smooth precision.   I've also discovered that the world of Oncologists and cancer experts is actually quite small and it appears that Adams cousin had Stephanie as a Surgeon, Jodi (Sydney Oncologist) went to University with Adam, Adam went to school with Julia's good friend Patty and so on and so forth.  We also both laughed out loud when Adam mentioned how incredible it was that I was able to collectively be supported by the A Team in record time following diagnosis and that he had heard it was because I knew this 'Speechy' that runs the show in St George.  Enter Dr Julia Maclean.  Woman of Science/Crazy Lady, Medical Coordinator and now apparently Chemo Captain.  Aka 'The Speechy'. 

So we got down to business pretty quickly and came up with the game plan.  I have an awful lot of things going for me in terms of beating this cancer and ensuring that it never ever comes back.  I am relatively fit, I have no family history of breast cancer, the cancer was a grade 1 (slow moving) cancer, detected as far as we know early and cut out in record time.  Yeah okay so it was a bit bigger than we first thought but we all accept in life that size doesn't matter right? See, I can still do stupid smutty humour - there's nothing wrong with me....So, basically my batting average is very very good.

However the one significant handicap that I appear to have is my age.  I'm young.  Hear that!  I am YOUNG!  I'd like to test the theory at the Les Mills Instructor Workshop or buying a new bikini at Billabong, standing in line at Cheeky Monkeys Night Club or lets face it, going to the doctors these days?  Young?  Laughable.  Accept when it comes to cancer.  Statistically I am very much in the 'young' range.  This was confirmed both through these amazing computer graphics they showed me but in a much more real sense when I first turned up for my very initial appointment at St George Public Hospital to see Jodi a few weeks ago now.  I sat in a waiting room with giant swinging doors that unfortunately for me at the time, swung open and one of them stayed open.  From my waiting room chair I could see a group of what appeared to be very old, unwell yodas receiving their chemo through intravenous drips.  And they were old.  All of them.  And they looked really sick.  All of them.  And the few people waiting in the reception area with John and I were also old. Like hanging out with Grandma Gimbert at the Yamba Bowling Club - that kind of age. All of them.  And then there was me.  I remember turning to John and making the statement that I just dont belong here.  But really, who does?

So, because of this age handicap (mostly) it has been discussed and agreed by Adam in appropriate consultation (as the one to have to actually make the run to second base) that this game needs to be played and played hard. It will make the final victory taste just that much sweeter.  I will undertake a trifecta of treatment that includes chemotherapy, radiation therapy and hormone therapy.  Kind of like going to your favourite beautician and getting the massage, the facial AND the pedicure. hmmm well, sorta? And why would you only choose one when you can have all three and eventually walk away knowing you have given yourself the absolute best odds possible to never have to do this again. 

It's a game plan I am committed to seeing through and Boycey has just flagged me on to head to the security of second base.  And now I had better gear myself up to run like hell.  And Boycey is a doing man so next Thursday the 8th of December will see my first hit.  I am nervous of course - I am treading completely unknown territory for me but I have the amazing support and advice from what seems like too many others to help me front up with confidence and treat this as my friend (thank you Nel).  This cocktail of toxic drugs is actually helping me to eventually get better.  And I know I will need to remind myself of that most likely a number of times along the way.  But lets not dwell on that for now. 

For right now I am going to enjoy my time. I will work, teach and train.  I will eat well and enjoy every mouthful!  I will savour all the good things and the beautiful people I have in my life.  I will bask in the sun and dance in the rain.  I feel so happy I have a plan and a sense of timeframe so I can eventually box this up and shelve it.

I just adjusted my sails................x

13 comments:

  1. Well k, great plan. Postive and i have no doubt you will beat this. GOing in for little check up myself friday thanks to you no mucking around. Just a colonoscopy, but gee this dieting stuff is hard work. have to stave tomorrow. and in day surgery friday. but thanks mate you took me to the doctor to do the overall check up.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a tart. I thought I was a bit cheeky daring to call Doctor Adam Boyce by his first name after about my 40th consultation! Boycey indeed!
    And what's with this OLD stuff? Tomorrow I have to catch the disoriented express to Coffs. I travel in Carriage C for the inContinent & Completely bewildered, With my telescopic walking stick.
    There's no stopping us old wrinklies. At least I have a Captain's Certificate certifying I can fly a Boeing 737-800. By the way. I have several very nice wigs. One that makes me look like Uma Thurman's mother. Another one that makes me look like Effie's great grandmother. And another one that makes me look like KD Lang's mature-age ex-girlfriend. I'd be happy to lend them to you. I'll hang on to my Julia Gillard wig until after the next election. Woof woof to Murph. Love and sympathy to Posh John. Don't forget to diarise Sat 14th July 2012 - Bastille Day Celebrations in Brizzy. 10 hugs. Wen

    ReplyDelete
  3. There we go again...see...You are YOUNG! How long have I been going on about that...Aha..lol Numbers Numbers Numbers!!
    "I will savour all the good things and the beautiful people I have in my life." My favourite words so far...you know why.
    Yesterday, the office crowd did the Mexican Wave when they found out you're safe on second...WoooooHoooooo Another step closer to that BIG WIN!!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I don't know the lengths some people will go to in order to call me a crazy lady in a public forum! And the things some people will do to have people tell them that they are in the young section of the bell curve. Now granted, when you front up to any Les Mills event, you are going to be looked upon by 90% of the room as possibly being the founder of step and pump but I do not think that choosing this game plan was the way to be reminded of your youth and vitality! But we are here now and Second Base Coach Boycey has put his rubber stamp onto  the game plan set by Chief Coach Stephanie, Tactic Manager Jodi and Home Run #1 coach Peter (we are yet to meet his Lismore Counterpart but we know he has Peter's plan in writing!!)  So Kym, let's get this game underway, I know your eye is both on the ball in your direct line of vision and on your Home Run which is just a little way off  in the distance! You have the BEST bat money can buy, I WILL have you in a great outfit - I am sure I have seen Lycra somewhere in your cupboard??  Any rogue players from the enemy team are not going to know what has hit them and you my friend will be happy on home base before you know it! Til then your supporters are cheering you on as loudly as they can - you will not have to strain to hear their roars! And this Captain chemo  might have a protocol in one hand but she will have a glass of bolle in the other & will be encouraging some shimmy action and super mans between bases to mix things up, keep you laughing & remembering how young and silly we are! And this my friend, is why everyone needs a woman of science but mostly CRAZY LADY in charge of this game!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes there ARE perks to cancer. Having been called 'Geriatric Maternal Age' at the birthing unit when I gave birth at the ripe ole age of 37, I was simply delighted to be called 'a young woman with breast cancer' at 39! So Boycie Baybee worked his magic and will continue to do so as he cares for you. You will fall for Medita at reception there. You might want to start ringing ahead for appointments there so you can delay your entry until you can go straight in as it truly feels like God's Waiting Room. But you will be another step closer to increasing your odds and beating this bugger! I have a fab Nigella wig and a very smart bob you are welcome to play with. When I started chemo, I asked a woman I met who had just finished 'ok, tell me one thing no-one told you'. She said 'you get a free Brazilian'. Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kym, it seems clear, you have way too many crazy friends who love lycra or synthetic Les Mills blends, champagne and sciences...you are surely too cool for all this!!! heh heh Go the Sydney LM workshop tomorrow. New release RPM...yeeewwww. Did I mention I played the girl/Australian version of baseball at school...in the rep team,... softball...we wore those long stripey socks and those mits that catch the curve ball...lots of fun sliding into ANY base! Love you lots xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS I think we should call Julia COACH Julia from now on...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Obviously whilst a great Oncologist he does need his eyes testing. You young?? You didnt look young whn I met you 20 years ago? I thought the other aussies had brought their gran. Ha! but then again this pom thinks he is still going to the olympics (probably to rake the sandpit) so if you have been chatted up with that old line then he is my type of guy and if gold medals were given out for just sheer "bugger this I am going to win" then you my sweetnest have a "by" to the final. Go on my girl run fast and muscle your way on to the next base. Cheering you on really loud from here in the UK. Love Nick and gang.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You go girl! Run like Hell.... I'm cheering you like crazy from the bleachers!! You're making me laugh and making me cry at the same time - and God knows we all need some of both.... thank you...
    Love Maureen xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like your cheer squad is bigger than your team Kym! Thanks for the blog. You’re an inspiration. We’re all thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY Kym - great news - I will be thinking of you all the way to the 8th and beyond. Much love Larissa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your NY cheering section continues to root for you each and every day. We'll be sending you especially warm thoughts and good vibes on December 8. Knock it out of the parky Kym and give my Cuz a big hug from us! Go Kym Go! You are amazing!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  13. 9. The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn’t.

    ReplyDelete