Monday, February 13, 2012

One of the most sublime experiences in life, is to wake up feeling healthy after feeling sick...

It's day 13 after my last chemo hit. Had I been prescribed 6 or 8 cycles I would be gearing up for another dose this Wednesday. But I'm not. I'm free. And I feel better and better with every day. In terms of where im at in this game I feel like I'm on my feet and at the point of dusting off the dirt and grime and my foot is absolutely safe on second base. I'm not quite at waving to the crowd stage - but I'm only mildly winded. I just need a moment to catch my breath. Most importantly, I feel happy. Relieved. Determined.

All things considered this last chemo hit hasnt been too bad....or have I already started to forget? Wait a minute! It was hideous! Well, definitely the most unpleasant in terms of symptoms anyway. It's funny how your memory fades as you start to feel better. I guess thats a good thing? Allows women to give second children a go, athletes to return to the gym the next day and people like me to walk back into that Oncology unit.

Besides, there are the ever small gains I am quietly celebrating knowing I get to keep them. Today it was brushing my teeth. You see only a chemo colleague will understand the agony of trying to brush your teeth while your gums are throbbing and so incredibly sensitive that on really bad days you can only press the super soft toothbrush gingerly into your mouth and hope it can clean something. No back and forward scrubbing, just a tentative push of the bristles coated in a gel toothpaste called Biotene followed by Biotene mouth wash. It's not at all refreshing nor satisfying and there is no minty fresh blast at the end of the process. Often you are dodging festering mouth ulcers or at least their potential and using dental floss is a distant memory just in case you break the gum.

But today, day 13, I was feeling so positive about my progress, I ditched the soft toothbrush (bin!) charged up by electric toothbrush and I scrubbed the hell out of my teeth using normal persons toothpaste - twice! Oh the joy! When it was over I actually, and I'm almost nervous to admit this, let out a good old country style YEEEHAH and gave myself the thumbs up sign to my own reflection. Yes. It's true. But I am celebrating EVERY gain people and that's just one example of a long long list. The next few weeks are going to be fun!

So what's next in terms of treatment? Well, I have to technically finish this cycle of chemo. How long that actually takes is anyones guess but as I'm feeling as good as I am right now, I'm thinking days rather than weeks. Of course getting my hair back etc. will be much longer than that, but I'm already planning my first new pixie style in that respect. Its funny, my Grandfather whom i was actually quite close to growing up always called me 'Baldy'. I have no memory of him actually ever using my real name. I was Baldy even beside him during the last days of his life. I know he loves this new look of mine and to be honest, Ive grown into my baldness myself and have enjoyed the freedom of styling and hair products and ghd straighters. Don't get me wrong, looking forward to hair but for me, being bald has just been another aspect of cancer that began as a challenge however has in fact facilitated discovery of other things about myself. Things i would have never known otherwise.

I also have a lot of hats :-)

I am waiting on what is referred to as 'planning' for my radiation therapy. I've hassled the Cancer Care people so much wanting them to lock in a start date for me, that they 'politely' advised that they have record of my MESSAGES (said between clenched teeth) and there was no need to call again, someone would call me. Uh oh - the old don't call us routine! But I need a start date! A start date means I have an end date! And that's important to me.

In the meantime I celebrate my gains, I spend time reflecting on what the last 3 months has taught me and making plans and goals for what I want the future to bring. I continue to embrace the time I spend with people I love and doing things that make me happy. It seems so simple but i know when life speeds you up and sweeps you along - it's easy to dismiss or be distracted.

So I ask you my friends to share with me this week appreciating something small about your health - your strength, your sight, what you can smell or touch. The fact that you can run to chase your kids or the bus or along a stretch of road. If you want to change something, achieve something or make something better, dont wait until tomorrow. Do it now. It doesn't need to be big in fact sometimes the smallest personal change has the greatest impact. It also only needs to be noticed by you. Share with me finding the time to notice the sunset and when your favourite song comes on the radio, turn it up and sing it at the top of your lungs. Have a fabulous week. I love you x

3 comments:

  1. You are amazing Kym Langill x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a journey Kym. I have read every entry of this amazing blog. You have made me laugh and cry, go have a health check and want to start running again! I have shared your story with my friends and so I wanted you to know how far your journey has travelled and what an impact it has made. You always were an inspiring woman to be around but this challenge has moved you to a new level. Keep being you. It's an honour to know you as a mate. Jules xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are awesome Kym, and gorgeous and so beautiful xxx

    ReplyDelete